Sunday, February 19, 2012

Flying to Japan from LAX

We always fly out of LAX in Southern California when we come to Japan. Because of specific traveling plans we have taken several different airlines. These include Korean Air, Singapore, United, JAL, and ANA. Ah yes, we have to fly in Economy.

LAX, California


The flight generally takes 11 hours. If you have a choice of airlines, I recommend that you look at passenger reviews before you make your reservations. I wish I had done that when we flew JAL. Too late I read that passengers from LAX noted that the cabin temperature was very warm and uncomfortable. This turned out to be an accurate assessment. It was so hot I thought for a while I was going to be sick. It is way too long of a flight to spend in such discomfort. For the return trip I outfitted myself in shorts and a t-shirt, brought along a Durarara! fan I bought in Nagoya, and I carried a full bottle of water.

When we returned to the USA I contacted JAL by email and was told that the temperature in the cabin is 24 degrees Celsius. But when we took our October trip on ANA, I noticed the air temperature on their plane was set at 24.5 and it felt fine, even a bit cool. So JAL, could you please explain this?

We have taken flights that left during the afternoon in the USA and arrived the following evening in Japan; however, for our most recent trip we flew the red-eye and departed LAX at 12:50 am. We landed in Japan at 5:00 am and took a connecting flight to Shikoku. We saw the sun come up upon disembarking in Matsuyama. It was great! We had rested on the plane and now we were ready to go explore. For our next trip we have booked another red-eye flight.

The airports in Japan have been amazing. We have been both awed and impressed by the high degree of customer service and the amenities available to travelers. I am embarrassed to say that LAX Customs personnel are not always very nice, but in Japan the airport employees have consistently been courteous, helpful, and kind. What a great first impression for the foreign visitor!

© JapanVisitor.com


Like this blog? Sign up for the JapanVisitor newsletter

Books on Japan
Tags




No comments:

Post a Comment